[B-Greek] Con Campbell on Interlinears

nebarry at verizon.net nebarry at verizon.net
Tue Oct 6 12:48:30 EDT 2009

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Michael Aubrey mga318 at yahoo.com
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 09:09:46 -0700 (PDT)
To: nebarry at verizon.net, james at bowick.com, jspinti at eisenbrauns.com,
b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] Con Campbell on Interlinears

>>I agree with so much of this, but I'd say that literal translations are
just as
much a fake way of getting closer to the original text than an interlinear.
In
someways perhaps more questionable simply because it's much more
subtle. The person would doesn't know Greek would be better off learning
how to use and compare multiple translations and think critically about
the differences.<<

Mike, certainly true about comparing translations, though I wonder how that
can be done with out the objective referent of the original language.  My
point, however, is that using a translation doesn't create the illusion
that you have gotten something out of the Greek the way an interlinear
might.  I happen to think that you can go a long way with a good English
translation:

http://my.opera.com/BarryHofstetter/blog/2009/02/17/the-english-says

Barry