[B-Greek] Con Campbell on Interlinears

Andrew C. Suttles andrew.suttles at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 12:46:08 EDT 2009

> James Bowick <james at bowick.com> writes:

> I would be curious to
> know how many of us, some now with Ph.Ds, got their first taste of Greek,
> and got hooked on it, through such tools?
>
> James Bowick

I, for one!  ...but not the PhD part...

Using my Strong's Concordance is what ignited an interest in me to learn the
original languages.  As I studied my first grammar, I would write out Greek
passages from my interlinear on notebook paper and make an English translation
for each paragraph (not the best method, I know).  If I was really stuck on a
word, I would resort to looking back at the gloss or Strong's Number in the
interlinear and look up and read all the definitions in Thayers (yikes!!!).  I
was also reading the text out loud using an Erasmian pronunciation (oh my!).  I
started with all the wrong methods, but boy was I making progress and enjoying
my studies.  I wasn't publishing in journals, just enjoying studying the text.
I don't use those tools anymore, but look back on those times fondly.

Those tools can be a crutch for a lazy student or the catalyst to stimulate
further learning.  As long as the user understands the limitations (having a
Strong's Concordance doesn't make you a Greek scholar) for using such tools, I
think we can make room for them.

Andrew