[B-Greek] Con Campbell on Interlinears

nebarry at verizon.net nebarry at verizon.net
Tue Oct 6 11:30:30 EDT 2009

Original Message:
-----------------
From: James Bowick james at bowick.com
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 10:08:00 -0400
To: JSpinti at eisenbrauns.com, b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] Con Campbell on Interlinears

>>Just to stir the pot...

There are many out there who are seeking to gain a little better
understanding into their sacred text.  Many have neither the time, nor in
some cases the ability, to learn the language. While it is no doubt true
that the use of an Interlinear is absolutely no substitution for learning
the language, I would argue it is a pretty good substitute for strict
dependency on English translations.<<

The things is, they are not getting closer to the Greek -- they are really
looking at a painfully literal sort of English translation that makes them
think they are getting something they can't get from an English
translation, but it's all a fake.  They would be much better off with the
New American Standard and a good exegetical commentary or two.

It's always good to burn the hard copies -- although check it.  When we
were first married, my wife had an interlinear.  She saved the marriage by
agreeing to get rid of it, but when she opened it up, a 20 dollar bill
dropped out...

As for the electronic copies, maybe someone could write a nice worm which
could turn and erase the files whenever someone attempts to open them?

Barry