[B-Greek] Con Campbell on Interlinears

Bryant J. Williams III bjwvmw at com-pair.net
Tue Oct 6 11:00:09 EDT 2009

Dear Martin,

When the Scripture text for the sermon is read on Sunday's and Wednesday's I am
reading from the Greek text unless it is a responsive reading. Even then, I will
note the passage(s) of the responsive reading and read them out loud later
(ANAGINWSKW).

Next, during the entire sermon by the Pastor, Missionary, etc., I continue to
read from the Greek text. This allows me to pick up what is not normally seen by
the eye, but by the ear. It is the aural-oral connection. True, I am hearing
English, in this instance and matching it to the corresponding Greek word, but I
will read the Greek text OUT LOUD, late. Whether one uses Erasmian, Buthian,
etc., in pronunciation of the words, is not the issue at this juncture. It is
the reading of the text and comprehension will increase. One will hear and see
word pairs, bracketing, pearl-stringing, chiasms, hyperbole, metaphor, puns,
etc. that is not normally seen when passive reading the English text. If I am
stuck on a word, then I look it up, note the parsing, and proceed on. BTW, I do
the same for the Hebrew text.

If I am preaching, I read the Greek (Hebrew) text in question several times over
before I start the translating and sermon process. It is imperative that one
preaching from the pulpit be thoroughly involved in the text in order to
communicate the Word of God to the people. Anything less is.... I then note any
thing that seems to stick out, etc., but I especially note if it a controversial
passage. I note the pros and cons of the arguments of these passages and will
present them to the people giving them my conclusion.

En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III