[B-Greek] Con Campbell on Interlinears

Martin F. Daly pastor at ruggleschurch.worthyofpraise.org
Tue Oct 6 10:13:49 EDT 2009

I seldom feel I have anything worthwhile to contribute to the
conversations on this list, but gladly read and weigh the posts.
At the risk of displaying my ignorance I have two comments and one question.

1.)I didn't find that my ability to read began to stick until I was
forced to parse and translate every word for an independent study I was
doing. The process was painstakingly slow, but gradually (ever so
gradually...) little things I began to recognize as words or forms I had
looked up before. My biceps began to take shape. I still am a 90 pound
weakling, but I'm off the couch.

2.)I parse and translate one verse a day from the New Testament, not
more, because I found that I was getting discouraged with lack of time
to do more, and so would end up doing nothing.
I am slowly working my way through John's gospel and will decide where
to go when I complete that. I use an online site to copy and paste the
greek text into Notepad, save it as Unicode, and then cut and paste into
my blog. This removes all the "parsing info" but leaves the Unicode
text. I then go through each word and do my best using only my UBS4
Greek New Testament and my grammar book tables.
After I complete my work, I check it against the parsings of the online
site. I have found the online site to be wrong on occasion, and I have
found that I was wrong on more occasions, but the process causes me to
think, work my biceps, and hopefully improve. This process takes me from
20 min. to 1 hr. each morning, about 5 mornings a week.

The question:
What other methods/ processes to people use to maintain and improve
their ability to read and understand? I mean specifically, not generally.

En Xapis,
--- marty ---