[B-Greek] Con Campbell on Interlinears

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Tue Oct 6 06:41:14 EDT 2009

That old curmudgeon Clay Bartholomew once described his posts to B-
Greek as Molotov cocktails stealthily-tossed into the public square to
create a stir. Things have been relatively quiet on B-Greek for a day
or so, wherefore it seems worth noting that Con Campbell, about whose
"Basics of Biblical Greek Verbal Aspect" I have raised some questions
heretofore, has posted a nice remark about interlinears in a blog post
at:
http://readbetterpreachbetter.com/2009/10/06/keep-your-greek-testing-some-lines/
= http://turl.ca/tkkf

Says Professor Campbell:

"Just as performing bicep curls without using your biceps is
counterproductive and lame, so too is reading Greek without using your
Greek.

"Instead of using the primary ‘muscle group’ needed to read Greek—your
memory!—the interlinear allows you to underwork your memory and rely
on the stronger ‘muscle group’—the printed English vocabulary sitting
right there under each Greek word.

"So, go ahead and burn that interlinear. Or, at least, give it to
someone you don’t like very much."

Of course, there is hardly any danger that we shall be seeing a
bonfire of the interlinears in the near or distant future; things like
that have a long lifespan.