[B-Greek] The Value of Tools

Ian W Scott iscott at tyndale.ca
Mon Oct 5 14:40:45 EDT 2009

Yes, my last comment meant that the credibility of strictly online
materials is growing now to the point that scholars will be more willing
to publish directly to electronic form. I don't quite agree, Randall,
that there are six-figure budgets that must inevitably be paid by
someone for all of these projects. After all, LSJ, Bauer, LEH, Muraoka,
etc. were not produced by massive subsidies and their *production*
(i.e., the scholarship) was not financed by sales of the books! These
resources were produced by scholars whose main support came from holding
a university post. Moreover, the projects that have been costly to mount
have always depended on either government or private grants (e.g.,
archaeological digs). My point is simply that the revenue generated from
the sale of books has never (and still does not) play a large role in
funding the *research and writing* of scholarly tools. When we look at
the tiny margin of the sale-price that makes its way to the scholar(s)
involved, this becomes obvious. This is why our Online Critical
Pseudepigrapha is possible. My co-editors and myself have been able to
work on it because of our faculty positions, and even the programming
for the publication platform continues to be done on a largely volunteer
basis. But if, as we hope will happen, we get an injection of money to
speed up the platform development, this will come from granting agencies
just as it would if we were writing print books (e.g., the Brill series
of texts and commentaries on Jewish literature). What hampers us most
with the OCP is not "production costs." It is the unwillingness of so
many scholars to pitch in and contribute to a project that will yield
"only" an electronic text.

Best,

Ian

--