[B-Greek] The Value of Tools

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 11:11:32 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Ian W Scott <iscott at tyndale.ca> wrote:
> The solution to this pricing problem, I think, is for us academics to be
> willing to publish first-run materials online. The production costs are so
> much lower for a strictly electronic publication that the materials can
> easily be presented free or at a very nominal charge. And let's face it,
> many of us publish very expensive volumes for which we see little or no
> royalties. This is the approach taken by several online journals (JHS is
> perhaps the most familiar to many). There is also an interesting SBL
> monograph series that is going straight to electronic publication. And, of
> course, the Online Critical Pseudepigrapha (which I help to edit), and the
> Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon.

This illustrates what I was discussing.
The C. A. L. lexicon project received a governmental grant of at least six
figures, possibly 7, in order to produce that online reference.
George Kiraz, who is working hard on restoring Syriac, cannot compete
with such funding, so his new materials and republished materials end up
quite expensive. I've heard estimates that Rosetta Stone cost upwards of
$500,000 for a language. Someone needs to pay for such work.

> (There's also the TLG, though its single-user
> fee is pretty steep). But we still don't have a project (that I'm aware of)
> to produce a rigorous NT lexicon in online form.

when I mentioned a first century lexicon, I was not referring to another
NT-limited dictionary, but a lexicon that would
a. show the available vocabulary in the audiences of Luke and Paul,
b. provide Eng--Grk access to that, and
c. provide Grk-Grk.

the last item might profitably be developed on an NT level for students
to learn to appreciate its benefits, though it should then be extended
to the whole "1c dictionary project".

Anyway, in order to develop such tools, someone needs to pay for
the infrastructure. Investing ten years of work and putting it on the
web for free won't put bread, wine, and olive oil on the table. (Nor
tacos, huevos rancheros, and cerveza, or any other cultural combo.)

> I think what we tend to
> lack is scholars who are willing to "give up" the perceived credibility of
> print publications. My sense, though, is that we are near the tipping point
> on this.

Didn't understand this last idiom, I took it to mean 'watershed', the point
where things start to run in another direction, affairs start to
radically change.

ERRWSO
Randall

--