[B-Greek] Making Sense of the Septuagint

Donald Cobb docobb at orange.fr
Mon Oct 5 02:33:09 EDT 2009

Hope this one works better...

--------

It should be said as well that DUNAMIS is a standard term for speaking
of armies. It's constantly used with that meaning in Polybius. Just one
example, taken at random from ISTORIWN A':

????? ?? ?? ??? ??????? ??????? ???? ????????? ?????????????????, ?? ??
???? ??????????? ???? ??? ?????? ?????????? ??????? ??????????? ?? ???????

AUTOI DE THi MEN NAUTIKH DUNAMEI PERI PELWRIADA STRATOPEDEUSANTES, TWi
DE PEZWi STRATEUMATI PERI TAS SUNEIS KALOUMENAS ENERGWS PROSEKEINTO THi
MESSHNHi

"And they, with the naval army (= flottilla) being stationed around
Pelorias, and with the land army around the area called Syneis,
vigourously pursued Messina" (my very approximate translation).

The LXX translation of the Hebrew text is, in this instance, a faithful
rendering of the Hebrew text reflected in the TM. in English we could
say "armed forces" with pretty much the same connotation.

Donald Cobb
Aix-en-Provence, France