[B-Greek] Thayer's Lexicon for Logos

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 4 20:28:07 EDT 2009

--- On Sat, 10/3/09, Michael Aubrey <mga318 at yahoo.com> wrote:

<Even if BDAG isn't six times better, I would still definitely hold that BAGD or even BAG is superior to Thayer - either of which you can purchase online used for a price roughly equivalent to Thayer.. So, again, *why* get Thayer at all when you can get a superior lexicon for just about the same price?>

Hi, Mike,

Not to be argumentative, but a used third edition of BDAG
will still cost you $100.00, while you can get a used Thayer
for $3.50.  You can get a used SECOND edition of BDAG for
$25.00, but then you are back to the old format and type face
which is notoriously hard to follow--the third edition corrects this
and you pay through the nose for it, even for used copies.

But as to your general point, I would agree that a used BAG for
$15.00 is a good deal and would make more sense than buying
a Thayer because Bauer really is good for the Apostolic Fathers
and the Apostolic Fathers are really good for NT Greek learners.

ERRWSO

Mark L
FWSFOROS

Carl wrote:

<We've had this discussion on the
utility of this old classic before; I
don't really want to start it all over again.>

What do you mean by "really?"

The two best NT Greek Lexicons in English
are BDAG ($115.35) and Thayer ($18.21.)
 BDAG ($115.35) is a better resource; there is
 no doubt about that.  BDAG ($115.35) is excellent
 for the Apostolic Fathers.  When I look up a NT
 word, I sometimes look it up in Thayer ($18.21)
 and I sometimes look it up in BDAG ($115.35)
 and I sometimes look it up in both.  I would say
 that the entry in BDAG ($115.35) is a little better
 about two thirds of the time.  Quite often, Thayer’s
 ($18.21) entry is better because it gives you the
 Hebrew equivalent and the Greek root, and gets
 to the heart of the matter more concisely..  Sometimes
 Thayer’s ($18.21) entries are longer and give you
 more information.  If you compare a given entry in
Thayer ($18.21) and BDAG ($115.35) you will find
that 90% of the time, both entries pretty much give you
 the same information.  I don’t think one’s NT Greek
 would be any better using one over the other.

Most people on this list disagree with me.
  They think there is absolutely no comparison
between the two.  They think BDAG ($115.35)
 is six times better than Thayer ($18.21.)  They think
 people who learn NT Greek using Thayer ($18.21)
 understand the Greek NT 16% as well as people
 who use BDAG ($115.35.)  They think some Egyptian
 tax receipts have fundamentally altered our understanding
 of NT Greek words, but they can’t give you any examples of this.

If you are in the market for a NT Greek lexicon, you do
 what you want.  You can spend $115.35 on a BDAG
 if you want to.  Or, you can get a Thayer for $18.21
 and still have enough money left over to buy an Intermediate
 Liddell and Scott ($35.98) and a Moulton and Milligan ($26.37
—so much for the papyri) AND Kohlenberger’s Exhaustive
 Concordance to the Greek New Testament ($27.29.)

Thayer ($18.21) is an excellent NT Greek resource
 at an excellent price.  BDAG ($115.35) is by far the
 most over-rated and over-priced resource discussed on this list.

Remember, I did not bring this up.

Mark L

FWSFOROS MARKOS