[B-Greek] what does hOTI govern in Hebrews 11:6 - one thing or two?

Eric S. Weiss papaweiss1 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 4 18:46:02 EDT 2009

I. Is Hebrews 11:6 saying that there are two things necessary re: one's faith - i.e.:
1. that one believe that God is, and
2. that one believe that God rewards those who seek Him?
I.e., the hOTI governs both God's existence and His nature as a rewarder, and thus an
additional "that" (hOTI) should be supplied in the translation, as most versions do. (see
translation I. below)

II. Or is Hebrews 11:6 saying that there is just one thing necessary re: one's faith - i.e.,
the belief that God is. And as a consequence of believing in God's existence/being, God
then becomes (i.e., GINETAI, not ESTIN) a rewarder of (= rewards) those who seek Him?
I.e., the hOTI governs just the first thing, and a second hOTI should not be added in
translation. (see translation II. below)

Here is the text, followed by my two suggested possible translations:

Hebrews 11: 6CWRIS DE PISTEWS ADUNATON EUARESTHSAI, PISEUSAI GAR DE
TON PROSERCOMENON TWi QEWi hOTI ESTIN KAI TOIS EKZHTOUSIN AUTON
MISQAPODOTHS GINETAI.

I. For without faith it is impossible to please [God], for the one who comes to God
must believe that (hOTI):
1. He is, and that [implied hOTI]
2. He is/becomes a rewarder of (i.e., He rewards) those who seek Him.

II. For without faith it is impossible to please [God], for the one who comes to God
must believe:
1. that (hOTI) He is,
and He [then/thus/also] becomes a rewarder of those who seek Him.

- - -
Eric S. Weiss