[B-Greek] Greek-Hebrew Psalms Mapping (was Making Sense of the Septuagint)

Louis Sorenson llsorenson at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 4 14:16:52 EDT 2009

I just went through a painful experience lining up the quotations
 in Hebrews to the Psalms.  The UBS4 edition gives the MT references
 - which was at first surprising; The author of Hebrews did not have
 the Masoritic text in front of him. But the UBS has a standards issue.
 Most of the verse lining up in the Psalms, once you get the chapter pegged right,
 is because the MT and Protestant versions separate the title
 and occasion out as headings. Though even this varies. The Greek often
 includes them as a separate verse(s), usually v1-2. So check one or two
 verses ahead in the Greek for the comparative Hebrew/English Text.

Rahlfs also has an insert which helps one line up the comparable MT
pasages.

The NETS is the only English text version that follows Rahlf's order
(if that is your Greek text). Brenton's translation follows the
chapter and verse order of the Complutensian Polyglott(I believe)
 which is the order of the Protestant OT.

Most of the NETS is available freely online thanks to Oxford UP and IOSCS,
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/edition/

Fields Hexapla was helpful. It can be found online.
Origen's Hexapla by Fields
http://patrologia.narod.ru/biblia/hexapla/  You will need to download the
Dejavu (sp) viewer to use it.

Some online Psalms with Greek reading aids can be found at http://www.letsreadgreek.com/psalms
There is even audio in a restored Koine pronunciation, which can also be downloaded from
http://www.letsreadgreek.org/psalms/audio/

Louis Sorenson