[B-Greek] Making Sense of the Septuagint

Albert Pietersma albert.pietersma at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 4 12:19:48 EDT 2009

On Oct 3, 2009, at 5:14 PM, Stephen Baldwin wrote:
> 2. Using the same reference, the NIV is:
>  6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made,
>        their starry host by the breath of his mouth.
>
> LXX 32:6 TWi LOGWi TOU KURIOU hOI OURANOI ESTEREWQHSAN
> KAI TWi PNEUMATI TOU STOMATOS AUTOU PASA hH DUNAMIS AUTWN
>
> To the best of my knowledge, the LXX knows nothing of starry hosts...
> or is there a nuance to DUNAMIS that has passed me by?
Though semantically I take no issue with NIV's "starry host", it bears
noting that NRSV more simply glosses Hebrew tsade beth aleph as
"host".  Since the Hebrew has but a single word, the Greek likewise
opts for a single word and moreover sticks to its standard equivalent,
namely, DUNAMIS.
Here is how NETS translates the Greek:
By the word of the Lord the heavens were made firm,
and by the breath of his mouth all their host.
In Ps 32(33):6, therefore, (a) the parent text of the LXX was almost
certainly the same as MT and (b) the Greek isomorphically translates
the Hebrew.  The only item that might conceivably suggest an
interpretive move by the translator is the rendering of ayin, sin, he
(to make) by STEREOW. But then again the nifal occurs only here in
Psalms and STEREOW is used to gloss several Hebrew verbs.