[B-Greek] Making Sense of the Septuagint

Stephen Baldwin stbaldwi at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 3 18:06:48 EDT 2009

 <2D2600EC-23DA-4C52-90D9-3C32B3132391 at mac.com>

Hello Carl:
>but one fundamentally important point you need
> to realize is that modern versions of the Old Testament are based on
> the Hebrew text=2C NOT upon the LXX. If you really want to compare a
> modern version with the LXX=2C you ought to have the Hebrew text in front
> of you as well.
Yes -- I am fully aware of that. Not knowing Hebrew=2C it would not help to=
 have the Hebrew in front of me (altho' it might look impressive... =3B-)).
I am approaching this with modest goals -- It would be useful to be able to=
 reference the LXX with more deftness than hunting around [if indeed that i=
s possible]. It would be useful and interesting to know "the LXX says what =
it says because they were working from this set of manuscripts and because =
of x=2C y=2C z" etc.

Rgds
steveB
stbaldwi at hotmail.com

> Subject: Re: [B-Greek] Making Sense of the Septuagint
> From: cwconrad2 at mac.com
> Date: Sat=2C 3 Oct 2009 17:36:47 -0400
> CC: b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org
> To: stbaldwi at hotmail.com
>

> On Oct 3=2C 2009=2C at 5:14 PM=2C Stephen Baldwin wrote:
>

>> Ladies and Gentlemen:
>> This may be another opportunity to parade glorious ignorance but
>> here goes...
>>
>> 1. Are there any methods/aids out there for "mapping" a modern
>> [English] translation to the LXX? For example=2C I was reading Ps33:6
>> [NIV] and wanted to read the corresponding verse in the LXX. As
>> often seems to be the case=2C Ps33:6 LXX is not Ps33:6 NIV. The
>> corresponding LXX Psalm is 32:6 -- at least it looks more like
>> Ps33:6 [NIV] than Ps33:6[LXX] does. This type of occurrence has
>> happened several times and I am no longer surprised but go on a
>> little hunt in the preceding and following chapters looking for the
>> relevant verse. Is there a better way of getting to the desired verse?
>>
>> 2. Using the same reference=2C the NIV is:
>> 6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made=2C
>> their starry host by the breath of his mouth.
>>
>> LXX 32:6 TWi LOGWi TOU KURIOU hOI OURANOI ESTEREWQHSAN
>> KAI TWi PNEUMATI TOU STOMATOS AUTOU PASA hH DUNAMIS AUTWN
>>
>> To the best of my knowledge=2C the LXX knows nothing of starry hosts...
>> or is there a nuance to DUNAMIS that has passed me by?
>>
>> I am aware of the corresponding histories of modern versions and the
>> LXX but of course when one encounters these word differences the
>> inquisitive mind wants to know more. Is it just a case of shrugging
>> it off or are there resources out there that discuss systematically
>> these differences?
>
> I doubt not that Al Pietersma=2C our resident LXX expert=2C will have a
> good deal to say here=2C but one fundamentally important point you need
> to realize is that modern versions of the Old Testament are based on
> the Hebrew text=2C NOT upon the LXX. If you really want to compare a
> modern version with the LXX=2C you ought to have the Hebrew text in ront
> of you as well.
>

> Carl W. Conrad
> Department of Classics=2C Washington University (Retired)

 		 	   		  =0A=