[B-Greek] Making Sense of the Septuagint

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Sat Oct 3 17:36:47 EDT 2009

On Oct 3, 2009, at 5:14 PM, Stephen Baldwin wrote:

> Ladies and Gentlemen:
> This may be another opportunity to parade glorious ignorance but
> here goes...
>
> 1. Are there any methods/aids out there for "mapping" a modern
> [English] translation to the LXX? For example, I was reading Ps33:6
> [NIV] and wanted to read the corresponding verse in the LXX. As
> often seems to be the case, Ps33:6 LXX is not Ps33:6 NIV. The
> corresponding LXX Psalm is 32:6 -- at least it looks more like
> Ps33:6 [NIV] than Ps33:6[LXX] does. This type of occurrence has
> happened several times and I am no longer surprised but go on a
> little hunt in the preceding and following chapters looking for the
> relevant verse. Is there a better way of getting to the desired verse?
>
> 2. Using the same reference, the NIV is:
>  6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made,
>        their starry host by the breath of his mouth.
>
> LXX 32:6 TWi LOGWi TOU KURIOU hOI OURANOI ESTEREWQHSAN
> KAI TWi PNEUMATI TOU STOMATOS AUTOU PASA hH DUNAMIS AUTWN
>
> To the best of my knowledge, the LXX knows nothing of starry hosts...
> or is there a nuance to DUNAMIS that has passed me by?
>
> I am aware of the corresponding histories of modern versions and the
> LXX but of course when one encounters these word differences the
> inquisitive mind wants to know more. Is it just a case of shrugging
> it off or are there resources out there that discuss systematically
> these differences?

I doubt not that Al Pietersma, our resident LXX expert, will have a
good deal to say here, but one fundamentally important point you need
to realize is that modern versions of the Old Testament are based on
the Hebrew text, NOT upon the LXX. If you really want to compare a
modern version with the LXX, you ought to have the Hebrew text in ront
of you as well.