[B-Greek] Making Sense of the Septuagint

Stephen Baldwin stbaldwi at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 3 17:14:22 EDT 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen:
This may be another opportunity to parade glorious ignorance but here goes...

1. Are there any methods/aids out there for "mapping" a modern [English] translation to the LXX? For example, I was reading Ps33:6 [NIV] and wanted to read the corresponding verse in the LXX. As often seems to be the case, Ps33:6 LXX is not Ps33:6 NIV. The corresponding LXX Psalm is 32:6 -- at least it looks more like Ps33:6 [NIV] than Ps33:6[LXX] does. This type of occurrence has happened several times and I am no longer surprised but go on a little hunt in the preceding and following chapters looking for the relevant verse. Is there a better way of getting to the desired verse?

2. Using the same reference, the NIV is:
 6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made,
       their starry host by the breath of his mouth.

LXX 32:6 TWi LOGWi TOU KURIOU hOI OURANOI ESTEREWQHSAN
KAI TWi PNEUMATI TOU STOMATOS AUTOU PASA hH DUNAMIS AUTWN

To the best of my knowledge, the LXX knows nothing of starry hosts...
or is there a nuance to DUNAMIS that has passed me by?

I am aware of the corresponding histories of modern versions and the LXX but of course when one encounters these word differences the inquisitive mind wants to know more. Is it just a case of shrugging it off or are there resources out there that discuss systematically these differences?

Rgds
Steve

Stephen Baldwin
stbaldwi at hotmail.com