[B-Greek] Meaning/application of TO AUTO ("the same") in 1 Cor 10:3-4

Oun Kwon kwonbbl at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 16:25:47 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Elizabeth Kline
<kline_dekooning at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > Yes, there is a Greek translational meaning and syntax/grammar
> > question in there!
> >

> I agree with Fee[1] that Calvin's reading  (i.e., your suggestion) is
> foreign to Paul's argument.

<clipped>

> One problem with this simple reading is how to fit v4b EPINON GAR ...
> hO CRISTOS into the argument.
> .
> Does the the vocabulary or syntax rule out Calvin's reading? I doubt
> that the question you raised can be answered with syntax and
> vocabulary. On the other hand, the discourse structure seems to point
> in a different direction.
>

> Elizabeth Kline

Thank for giving a clear understanding of the text.

Personally I simply take EPINON GAR hO CRISTOS.. as a rhetoric
parenthetically placed by Paul.

As for Calvin's reading, it seems like an allegorical one (? in
Christian kabala style, i.e. reading into too deep and too much) .

Oun Kwon.