[B-Greek] Meaning/application of TO AUTO ("the same") in 1 Cor 10:3-4

Eric S. Weiss papaweiss1 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 3 16:20:53 EDT 2009

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 3 14:36:09 EDT 2009

> One problem with this simple reading is how to fit v4b EPINON GAR ...
> hO CRISTOS into the argument.
> .
> Does the the vocabulary or syntax rule out Calvin's reading? I doubt
> that the question you raised can be answered with syntax and
> vocabulary. On the other hand, the discourse structure seems to point
> in a different direction.
>
> Elizabeth Kline

I agree that is "one problem," and one that I think (hence my original question about this)
could support the possible comparison I'm suggesting.

And in the context of 1 Cor chapters 8-14 where PANTES seems to be a governing
principle in terms of the church's conduct and behavior that Paul is addressing re: the
necessary and preferred edification of ALL the body by ALL the members in what they say,
do, eat, drink, etc., I am not ready to discard this possibility, even if the discourse
structure does not seem to favor it, as you say.

I think I have achieved a more holistic and integrative understanding of 1 Cor 10 from
reading the several preceding and following chapters than I have had up to this time in my
studies of the Lord's Table/Supper.

Thanks for your response!