[B-Greek] II Cor. 4:13

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Sat Oct 3 02:56:07 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gordon Slocum" <edifier.of.truth at gmail.com>
To: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: 3. oktober 2009 03:33
Subject: [B-Greek] II Cor. 4:13

II Corinthians 4:13
EXONTES DE TO AUTO PNEUMA THS PISTEWS KAI TO GEGRAMMENON EPISTEUSA DIO
ELALHSA KAI h,HMIES PISTEUOMEN DIO KAI LALOUMEN
AND OR BUT HAVING THE SAME SPIRIT OF THT FAITH  ACCORDING TO THE
HAVING BEEN WRITTEN:  I BELIEVED, THEREFORE  I SPOKE BOTH WE BELIEVE
AND THEREFORE WE SPEAK
Today we hear comments like, “he has a spirit of courage” etc.  What
is everyone’s understanding of  “EXONTES DE TO AUTO PNEUMA THS
PISTEWS”
---
Gordon Slocum

Yes, here I think that meaning can be carried over into English in a fairly
direct way, only deleting the article, i.e. we have the same spirit of faith.
"Spirit" here is not a person or living being, but rather an attitude or
character. The genitive is descriptive. We are described as being people of
faith like the Psalmist was. Both NLT and CEV say "same kind of faith".

Iver Larsen