[B-Greek] Hebrews 9:28

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 2 08:46:04 EDT 2009

I get a bit disconcerted with the emphasis on "how do you translate" when what we should be doing is understanding the Greek of the text.  On the other hand, translations are an encapsulation of someone's or a group's understanding of a text.  I note that you refer to χωρὶς ἁμαρτίας [XWRIS hAMATIAS] as referring to a lack of sin in Christ.  I think that this is a misunderstanding of the intent of the passage and makes for poor theology as well.  If it is only δευτέρου [DEUTEROU], i.e. the second time that he is without sin, what about the first time since this appears to contrast to the first.  This forum is not, however, about theology so I only mention it to note that one can create problems for one's self.  I would recommend the understanding of χωρὶς [XWRIS] here as referencing the second appearance as not having to do with sin rather than not possessing sin.  See Moulton & Milligan _Vocabulary ..._

 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.