[B-Greek] Thayer's Lexicon for Logos

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Fri Oct 2 07:23:26 EDT 2009

Here's another item of some ἀμφισβητῆσις: Logos software
announced this week that it is preparing an electronic version of the
1889 edition of Thayer's Lexicon. Some (I won't name names) have
heralded this. My own sense is that buttered toast has been around
longer than Thayer's Lexicon and that is because it remains relevant
to our daily existence. I was wondering whether I was all alone in
this feeling when, lo and behold, Mark Hoffman has a blog entry
questioning the move:
http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2009/10/thayers-lexicon-for-logos.html
We've had this discussion on the utility of this old classic before; I
don't really want to start it all over again. But I would echo MGVH's
advice: "If asked, I guess I would tell my students that it is helpful
if used judiciously, but they would be better off saving up their
money to get BDAG or the Exegetical Dictionary of the NT."