[B-Greek] Learning Greek through Greek

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Fri Oct 2 06:57:04 EDT 2009

I can already hear the groans coming loud and clear through the
electronic fog, those same sounds I utter when I see a new post on
pronunciation of ancient Greek.

Blog entry, "Learning Greek through Greek": http://wmblathers.blogspot.com/2009/10/learning-greek-through-greek.html

"... So, it seems to me that by the time you start learning about -μι
verbs you should be seeing Greek not only in the terrifying new
construction the lesson presents, in the idiotic practice sentences
and in whatever adapted passage of literature that lesson has, but
also as the chapter headings, in the notes explaining tricky parts of
that adapted passage, etc. ... Are the benefits of seeing more Greek
worth the cost of learning the substantial technical vocabulary when
lots of more basic vocabulary also needs to be learned? Since no one
is forced to learn Greek any more, I'm inclined to see value in laying
on Greek as thickly as possible for those few who do decide to take it
up. "