[B-Greek] Matthew 5:44

rhutchin at aol.com rhutchin at aol.com
Thu Oct 1 16:50:37 EDT 2009

 Wonder no more.? No foundation in Greek, obviously.? I was reading an English translation which uses the words "Ye" and "You" in this verse which I thought were generally used to distinguish between the singular and plural.? Guess not.? I actually remember (now) from some casual study I did some time ago that the verb endings are plural.

OK.? Given that we are dealing with plurals, does this influence our earlier discussion of ENTOS hUMWN (Luke 17:20-21) where Jesus tells the Pharisees that the kingdom of God is within them and where I understood the conclusion there was that Jesus meant that the kingdom was within them as a group but not within them as individuals.? The sense of Matthew 5:44 seems to be that Jesus is talking to a group of people but means what he says to be applied to each as individuals.? Why could we not apply this sense analogously to Luke 17:21 and read it to mean that Jesus meant that the kingdom of God was within each of the Pharisees individually?

We also see this here:

Matt 5:16 - ...LAMYATW TO FOS hUMWN EMPROSQEN TWN ANQRWPWN... and I think we understand that each individual is to let his light shine versus a light shining from the group.

Roger Hutchinson

PS: Remember the only dumb question is the one not asked no matter how dumb the person asking it.