[B-Greek] Rm. 13:3b: "QELEIS..."

Richard Ghilardi qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
Sat May 30 06:03:34 EDT 2009

Hello Folks,

On Fri, 29 May 2009 23:20:09 -0500 Richard Ghilardi
<qodeshlayhvh at juno.com> writes:

> On Fri, 29 May 2009 14:01:06 -0400 Nikolaos Adamou
> <nikolaos.adamou at hotmail.com> writes:
>
> Tischendorf 8th Ed as well as Greek Orthodox are with a question
> mark BUT
> not Westcott/Hort in
> http://www.biblos.com/romans/13-3.htm
> The question mark is an interpretation of the text.
> Mark is right!
>
> RG: My HARD COPY of WH punctuates as a question. Electronic texts
> are
> sometimes unreliable, especially in matters of punctuation.

RG: But apparently the text at the above website IS accurate, it's just
not what WH wrote. From the biblos.com site:
<< Punctuation and Paragraph Formatting based on the Greek New Testament
using Unicode/UTF8 at the Christian Classics Ethereal Library. >>

Going to the CCEL website we find:
<< This Bible translation was converted automatically from data files
made available by the Unbound Bible project. Book names, introductions,
titles, paragraphs, and the like were not available... >>

"The like" undoubtedly includes punctuation which was added to the raw WH
text which CCEL got from Unbound Bible (unbound.biola.edu) which they got
from Crosswire (crosswire.org/sword).

Poor WH had its native punctuation stripped away and the punctuation of
GNT3/4 imposed upon it by someone who didn't think it worth the effort to
secure a hard copy of WH and do the job right.

So now we have the meticulous labors of those two giants of  19th cent.
scholarship, Westcott and Hort, impoverished by the thoughtlessness of a
21st cent. cyber editor. I guess I can live with that.

Yours in His grace,

Richard Ghilardi - qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
West Haven, Connecticut USA