[B-Greek] hPER DE

Steve Runge srunge at logos.com
Thu May 28 11:34:22 EDT 2009

Elizabeth,

I am not sure what of Levinsohn you have read, but your rendering here is within the scope of how he describes DE, marking the next step or development of the story or argument. The presence of contrast is not a bench mark that he has set, but instead is found more in traditional explanations. I maintain that neither KAI nor DE indicate the presence of semantic continuity or discontinuity, as do AND and BUT in English. Your description fits well with the view of DE marking the next development or stage of the discourse.

As horrified as you may be about this (in the cataphoric sense), you may agree with Levinsohn more than you think.

Regards,

Steve