[B-Greek] hPER DE

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Thu May 28 01:14:10 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elizabeth Kline" <kline_dekooning at earthlink.net>
To: "greek B-Greek" <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: 28. maj 2009 01:39
Subject: [B-Greek] hPER DE

> While working through the Iver's comments on PERI DE in Paul, I was
> reading Helma Dik:2007 [1] and her discussion of themes, topics, and
> so forth. Rather than use her examples from Thucid. which might not go
> down well here, I found a passage 2Mac. 11:20 which illustrates a
> fronted constituent, introduced by hPER DE, which is used to link the
> following statement with the shared information from the preceding
> context.
>
> 2Mac. 11:20 ὑπὲρ δὲ τούτων καὶ τῶν κατὰ
> μέρος ἐντέταλμαι τούτοις τε καὶ
> τοῖς παρ᾿ ἐμοῦ διαλεχθῆναι ὑμῖν
>
> 2MAC. 11:20 hUPER DE TOUTWN KAI TWN KATA MEROS ENTETALMAI TOUTOIS TE
> KAI TOIS PAR᾿ EMOU DIALECQHNAI hUMIN
>
> The fronted constituent  hUPER DE TOUTWN KAI TWN KATA MEROS is
> anaphoric, summing up what has been said in the immediately preceding
> context and therefor can be assumed to be shared information. It
> serves to tie the former statements to ENTETALMAI TOUTOIS TE KAI TOIS
> PAR᾿ EMOU DIALECQHNAI hUMIN.

I think this illustrates that hUPER can function in certain contexts like PERI,
but it not as common a PERI. There is also a PERI DE TOUTWN in 2 Mac 4:43, where
the TOUTWN is anaphoric as it usually is, but PERI points forward to the charges
leveled against Menelaos.

Although TOUTWN is anaphoric the new theme introduced is shown by KATA MEROS. I
am afraid I do not agree that the hUPER phrase as a whole is anaphoric, nor that
it sums up the preceding context.

NRSV has the following translation of the letter concerned:
"16 The letter written to the Jews by Lysias was to this effect:
“Lysias to the people of the Jews, greetings. 17 John and Absalom, who were sent
by you, have delivered your signed communication and have asked about the
matters indicated in it. 18 I have informed the king of everything that needed
to be brought before him, and he has agreed to what was possible. 19 If you will
maintain your goodwill toward the government, I will endeavor in the future to
help promote your welfare. 20 And concerning such matters and their details, I
have ordered these men and my representatives to confer with you. 21 Farewell.
The one hundred forty-eighth year, Dioscorinthius twenty-fourth.” (164 BC)

Verses 16 to 19 gives the "executive summary" of Lysias' response without
details. He acknowledges receipt of their letter, and after having discussed it
with the king gives a promise of support, if the Jews show goodwill. The DE in
20 introduces a new paragraph, a change from the general to the specific and
from what has been done to what will be done in that he says: Concerning the
details of these matters, my representatives (who carry the response) and yours
will discuss it. In my view, the fronting contrasts the general response already
given in the letter to the specific and detailed discussion to come later.

Iver Larsen