[B-Greek] Thoughts on "Basics of Verbal Aspect in Biblical Greek" by Constantine R. Campbell

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Wed May 27 07:38:26 EDT 2009

On May 27, 2009, at 7:11 AM, Eric S. Weiss wrote:

> My apologies if this has been asked already (I've been away from the
> list for months). Any thoughts on Constantine Campbell's BASICS OF
> VERBAL ASPECT IN BIBLICAL GREEK (Zondervan 2008)? What he says about
> aspect and the Perfect "Tense" is very different from what most are
> taught in first and even 2nd-year Greek, but I think I like what I'm
> reading (though it's making me have to unlearn and relearn a lot).
> If this has been discussed on B-Greek, can someone point me to the
> archived discussion? Thanks!

There has, in fact, been  considerable discussion of the book. There
was a thread beginning March 31 and extending into April of this year
with subject-header: "[B-Greek] Constantine Campbell / Basics of
Verbal Aspect", "[B-Greek] Campbell and Aktionsart".

My own fuller comments on the book, with reference to other on-line
reviews, may be found as an entry in James Spinti's blog at:
http://anebooks.blogspot.com/2008/11/review-of-campbells-basics-of-verbal.html
= http://tinyurl.com/5o6cxs