[B-Greek] hAGNIZOMAI with the genitive in I Tr 13:3

Richard Ghilardi oecolampad at gmail.com
Tue May 26 15:08:26 EDT 2009

Hello Folks,

The entry for BDAG here is somewhat misleading. It represents ὑπέρ hYPER as
solid text in both IEph 8:1 and in ITr 13:3, whereas it's merely conjecture
(Zahn's originally):

3. mid. (w. pass. aor.) to set oneself apart in dedication, to dedicate
oneself i.e. give oneself up as a propitiation ὑπὲρ ὑμῶν for you IEph 8:1.
ἁγνίζεται ὑπὲρ ὑμῶν τὸ εμὸν πνεῦμα my spirit dedicates itself for you ITr
13:3.—DELG s.v. ἅζομαι. M-M.

The texts:

ITr 13:3
hAGNIZETAI hYMWN TO EMON PNEUMA, OU MONON NYN ALLA KAI hOTAN QEOU EPITYXW.
ἁγνίζεται ὑμῶν τὸ εμόν πνεῦμα, ου μόνον νῦν αλλά καί ὅταν θεοῦ επιτύχω.

IEph 8:1
PERIPSHMA hYMWN KAI hAGNIZOMAI hYMWN EFESIWN EKKLHSIAS THS DIABOHTOU TOIS
AIWSIN.
περίψημα ὑμῶν καί ἁγνίζομαι ὑμῶν Εφεσίων εκκλησίας τῆς διαβοήτου τοῖς
αιῶσιν.

What Lightfoot has to say about these two texts is very instructive.
First ITr 13:3

<< ἁγνίζεται ὑμῶν hAGNIZETAI hYMWN] i.e., ἅγνισμα γίγνεται ὑμῶν hAGNISMA
GIGNETAI hYMWN, where ἅγνισμα hAGNISMA, 'a piacular offering,' like περίψημα
PERIPSHMA, περικάθαρμα PERIKAQARMA, etc., denotes entire devotion to and
self-sacrifice for another: comp. IEph 8 περίψημα ὑμῶν καί ἁγνίζομαι ὑμῶν
PERIPSHMA hYMWN KAI hAGNIZOMAI hYMWN (with the note). >>

RG: I essentially agree with this except that I would retain ἁγνίζεται
hAGNIZETAI and view ἅγνισμα hAGNISMA as a cognate acc. absent by ellipsis,
thus: [ἅγνισμα] ἁγνίζεται ὑμῶν τὸ εμόν πνεῦμα [hAGNISMA] hAGNIZETAI hYMWN TO
EMON PNEUMA. Either way ὑμῶν hYMWN is directly dependent on ἅγνισμα hAGNISMA
and NOT on ἁγνίζεται hAGNIZETAI. But Lightfoot takes quite a different tack
with regard to IEph 8:1.

<< ἁγνίζομαι κ.τ.λ. hAGNIZOMAI K.T.L.] 'I am devoted to your Church'; comp.
ITr 13 ἁγνίζεται [ἁγνίζετε MS] ὑμῶν τὸ εμόν πνεῦμα hAGNIZETAI [hAGNIZETE ms]
hYMWN TO EMON PNEUMA. It appears to mean literally 'I make myself a ἅγνισμα
hAGNISMA, a piacular offering, for your Church.' The verb ἁγνίζειν sometimes
means 'to sacrifice,' 'to devote' (see esp. εφαγνίζειν, καθαγνίζειν
EFAGNIZEIN, KAQAGNIZEIN); and ἅγνισμα hAGNISMA is 'an expiatory victim,'
e.g. Aesch. Eum. 315. Of the genitive case after ἁγνίζομαι hAGNIZOMAI I can
find no other instance: but it might fall under the category of verbs of
admiration, affection, and the like; and, as τρύχεσθαι TRYXESQAI,
επιτύφεσθαι EPITYFESQAI, etc., are found with this case (see Kuhner II. p.
324), it can hardly be considered out of place after ἁγνίζεσθαι hAGNIZESQAI,
when this secondary sense predominates. Several corrections have been
suggested; e.g. the substitution of ἅγνισμα hAGNISMA for ἁγνίζομαι
hAGNIZOMAI, or the insertion of ὑφ' hUF' or of ὑπέρ hYPER before ὑμῶν hYMWN.
But as ITr 13 (already quoted) agrees in the same expression, it is highly
improbable that the scribes should have made the same error and introduced
the same difficulty in both passages. A much more easy change than any
hitherto proposed would be αγάζομαι AGAZOMAI for ἁγνίζομαι hAGNIZOMAI; but
no correction seems to be required.
εκκλησιας EKKLHSIAS] governs ὑμῶν hYMWN, and does not stand in apposition
with it, as the article before διαβοήτου DIABOHTOU shows. >>

RG: I agree completely with this interpretation.

--
Yours in His grace,

Richard Ghilardi
West Haven, Connecticut USA