[B-Greek] 2COR. 1:8 AGNOEIN hUPER ...

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Mon May 25 16:15:52 EDT 2009

On May 25, 2009, at 5:38 AM, Eric Inman wrote:

> In I Cor. 8:1: PERI DE TWN EIDWLOQUTWN, OIDAMEN hOTI ...
>
> Here PERI ... seems to identify the topic and hOTI ... seems to
> provide information about the topic with the verb being OIDAMEN.
> This seems to parallel what Harris is suggesting for hUPER, hOTI,
> and AGNOEIN. If Harris is right, then I would wonder why hUPER is
> used instead of PERI.

This is the constituent order one might expect PERI DE TWN EIDWLOQUTWN
is fronted before OIDAMEN hOTI. I am not sure how important constuent
order is, but it erodes my confidenience in Harris' argument that
hUPER ... follows  QELOMEN hUMAS AGNOEIN.

On May 25, 2009, at 5:38 AM, Eric Inman wrote:

> I don't know if this is what you're referring to, but I feel that he
> has a couple of poor and unnecessary arguments for supporting the
> idea that the Corinthians lacked information about the severity of
> the affliction. I think that that conclusion already had enough
> support just based on his observations of the usage of AGNOEIN and
> hUPER. As for his comments about the absence of detail in the
> phrases THS QLIYEWS hHMWN and EN THi ASIAi, I'm not sure that they
> are valid, and even if they are, I think they are more of a
> distraction than a help for making his point.

Eric,

I am not sure what I am referring to either :-) Just a vague sense
that Harris' argument wouldn't survive close scrutiny.

thank you,

Elizabeth Kline