[B-Greek] hAGNIZOMAI with the genitive in I Tr 3:13

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Mon May 25 06:39:13 EDT 2009

On May 24, 2009, at 10:46 PM, lightmanmark at yahoo.com wrote:

> Ignatius' Letter to the Trallians 13:3:
> ἁγνιζεται ὑμων το εμον πνευμα, ου
> μονον
>
> νυν αλλα και ὁταν θεου επιτυχω
>
> hAGVIZETAI hUMWN TO EMON PNEUMA, OU MONON
> VUV ALLA KAI hOTAN QEOU EPITUCW

Interesting mixture of N and V, presumably both for Nu.

>  "My spirit is dedicated to you, not only now, but when I
> obtain God."
>
> What do we make of the hUMWN being in the genitive?
> Sometimes I don't care to characterize what type of
> genitive something is, but in this case, if you had to
> characterize it, how would you?  Don't say "genitive of
> dedication."  Is there such a thing as a genitive of
> advantage?  Is there any chance that agency is meant
> here, as if with hUPO?  Other than just saying that
> this verb in the middle can take the genitive, is there
> something germane to the genitive that I am missing here?
> Can anyone think of similar verbs that take the genitive?
> I could not find any similar uses of hAGNIZOMAI
> with the bare genitive in the NT or in the lexicons.

BDAG notes
	3. mid. (w. pass. aor.) to set oneself apart in dedication, to
dedicate oneself i.e. give oneself up as a propitiation ὑπὲρ
ὑμῶν [hUPER hUMWN] for you IEph 8:1. ἁγνίζεται
ὑπὲρ ὑμῶν τὸ ἐμὸν πνεῦμα [hAGNIZETAI hUPER
hUMWN TO EMON PNEUM] my spirit dedicates itself for you ITr 13:3.—
DELG s.v. ἅζομαι. M-M.

Τhis usage in 1 Eph 8:1 certainly appears comparable and the genitive
with hUPER, the usage of the genitive alone as complement to
hAGNIZETAI does indeed seem awkward. One wonders how sound the text is.