[B-Greek] 2COR. 1:8 AGNOEIN hUPER ...

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Mon May 25 00:58:39 EDT 2009

2Cor. 1:8 Οὐ γὰρ θέλομεν ὑμᾶς ἀγνοεῖν,
ἀδελφοί, ὑπὲρ τῆς θλίψεως ἡμῶν τῆς
γενομένης ἐν τῇ Ἀσίᾳ, ὅτι καθ᾿
ὑπερβολὴν ὑπὲρ δύναμιν ἐβαρήθημεν
ὥστε ἐξαπορηθῆναι ἡμᾶς καὶ τοῦ
ζῆν·  9 ἀλλὰ αὐτοὶ ἐν ἑαυτοῖς τὸ
ἀπόκριμα τοῦ θανάτου ἐσχήκαμεν,
ἵνα μὴ πεποιθότες ὦμεν ἐφ᾿ ἑαυτοῖς
ἀλλ᾿ ἐπὶ τῷ θεῷ τῷ ἐγείροντι τοὺς
νεκρούς·  10 ὃς ἐκ τηλικούτου θανάτου
ἐρρύσατο ἡμᾶς καὶ ῥύσεται, εἰς ὃν
ἠλπίκαμεν [ὅτι] καὶ ἔτι ῥύσεται,  11
συνυπουργούντων καὶ ὑμῶν ὑπὲρ
ἡμῶν τῇ δεήσει, ἵνα ἐκ πολλῶν
προσώπων τὸ εἰς ἡμᾶς χάρισμα διὰ
πολλῶν εὐχαριστηθῇ ὑπὲρ ἡμῶν.

2COR. 1:8 OU GAR QELOMEN hUMAS AGNOEIN, ADELFOI, hUPER THS QLIYEWS
hHMWN THS GENOMENHS EN THi ASIAi, hOTI KAQ᾿ hUPERBOLHN hUPER DUNAMIN
EBARHQHMEN hWSTE EXAPORHQHNAI hHMAS KAI TOU ZHN·  9 ALLA AUTOI EN
hEAUTOIS TO APOKRIMA TOU QANATOU ESCHKAMEN, hINA MH PEPOIQOTES WMEN
EF᾿ hEAUTOIS ALL᾿ EPI TWi QEWi TWi EGEIRONTI TOUS NEKROUS·  10 hOS
EK THLIKOUTOU QANATOU ERRUSATO hHMAS KAI hRUSETAI, EIS hON HLPIKAMEN
[hOTI] KAI ETI hRUSETAI,  11 SUNUPOURGOUNTWN KAI hUMWN hUPER hHMWN THi
DEHSEI, hINA EK POLLWN PROSWPWN TO EIS hHMAS CARISMA DIA POLLWN
EUCARISTHQHi hUPER hHMWN.

According to M.J. Harris:2005 (2Cor NIGTC p153)[1],  hUPER ... EN THi
ASIAi is not an argument of AGNOEIN which he claims never (in Paul)
takes a hUPER "clause" as an argument. Harris says that AGNOEIN
typically takes a hOTI clause, an accusative or PERI. He suggests that
the  hUPER "clause modifies the whole sentence".

I didn't find anything that directly refutes Harris by a quick look
through TLG :-) However, I have some misgivings about the structure of
his argument. The search string [1] should get you too the right page
if you are in the USA. I would be interested in any comments on the
validity of the reasoning behind his exegesis on this point. I am not
terrible concerned about the conclusion, just the process of building
his case.

Elizabeth Kline

[1]Search String for Harris 2005 p153 in google:

"severity of the particular incident" Harris