[B-Greek] hAGNIZOMAI with the genitive in I Tr 3:13

lightmanmark at yahoo.com lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Sun May 24 22:46:29 EDT 2009

Ignatius' Letter to the Trallians 13:3:
ἁγνιζεται ὑμων το εμον πνευμα, ου μονον

νυν αλλα και ὁταν θεου επιτυχω

hAGVIZETAI hUMWN TO EMON PNEUMA, OU MONON
VUV ALLA KAI hOTAN QEOU EPITUCW

"My spirit is dedicated to you, not only now, but when I
obtain God."

What do we make of the hUMWN being in the genitive?
Sometimes I don't care to characterize what type of
genitive something is, but in this case, if you had to
characterize it, how would you?  Don't say "genitive of
dedication."  Is there such a thing as a genitive of
advantage?  Is there any chance that agency is meant
here, as if with hUPO?  Other than just saying that
this verb in the middle can take the genitive, is there
something germane to the genitive that I am missing here?
Can anyone think of similar verbs that take the genitive?
I could not find any similar uses of hAGNIZOMAI
with the bare genitive in the NT or in the lexicons.

Mark L.