[B-Greek] Greek Accents

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Sat May 23 20:42:01 EDT 2009

I don't believe the BibleWorks fonts are unicode.  Unless it can be shown that they are, I would recommend avoiding them.  A unicode font is a unicode font is a unicode font if it covers the language area desired.  There are a number of good polytonic Greek fonts available free on the internet.  If you have trouble locating them, I would be willing to assist, but they are easily located by googling "Titus Cyberbit Basic", "SIL Galatia", or "Cardo" (as well as others).  You should be warned that certain fonts lack some characters so you should test them for completeness.  One character that has shown up missing is a lower case digamma which will become evident in some words in LSJ.  Alexander is correct that you can type polytonic Greek with Windows Xp out of the box (with a few adjustments in the "Regions and Languages" section of the Control Panel.  He is, however, also correct that the layout is NOT INTUITIVE so I would recommend that you
 install the Logos Biblical Greek Keyboard as recommended by Sarah Blake.  It also comes with a PDF file giving instructions.  Since she neglected to supply the URL, here it is

http://www.logos.com/support/downloads/keyboards

BTW:  The characters which have the accents and / or breathings built into them are known as "precomposed characters."

 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.