[B-Greek] KAI/H in 1 Tim 2:8-9

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Sat May 23 13:11:27 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Buck" <bucksburg at yahoo.com>
To: "b greek" <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: 21. maj 2009 19:58
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] KAI/H in 1 Tim 2:8-9

> 1Tim2:9 WSAUTWS KAI GUNAIKAS EN KATASTOLH KOSMIW META AIDOUS
KAI SWFROSUNHS KOSMEIN EAUTAS MH EN PLEGMASIN
KAI CRUSW H MARGARITAIS H IMATISMW POLUTELEI<

Can we read anything into this construction MH EN ... KAI ... H ... H?
It's usually translated "not ..., or ..., or ..., or ....; why not "not ... and ..., or ..., or
....?"

How do translators know that the meaning is not,
"not with gold-entwined braids, or pearls, or expensive clothes?"

Daniel Buck
---------------------------------

The KAI can certainly be translated by "and" as NET has it:
"Likewise the women are to dress in suitable apparel, with modesty and self-control. Their adornment
must not be with braided hair and gold or pearls or expensive clothing".

But I doubt that the gold is connected with the braiding. Rather, the KAI may separate the hairdo
from what is put on in terms of golden rings or pearls or expensive clothes.

Translators are also guided by similar expressions in other parts of the Bible. Here we may compare
with:

1Pet 3:3 ἔστω οὐχ ὁ ἔξωθεν ἐμπλοκῆς τριχῶν καὶ περιθέσεως χρυσίων ἢ ἐνδύσεως ἱματίων κόσμος
ESTW OUC hO EXWQEN EMPLOKHS TRICWN KAI PERIQESEWS CRUSIWN H ENDUSEWS hIMATIWN KOSMOS

So, the hair is braided (EMPLOKH), the golden things/rings are put around (a finger, arm or neck I
presume) (PERIQESIS).

Similarly, going the other way, the hIMATIWN is not just any clothes, but special, expensive
clothes.

Iver Larsen