[B-Greek] Greek Accents

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Sat May 23 13:36:03 EDT 2009

> Hello Everybody,
I was wondering if anyone could help me?
I was wondering if there is a free software program available on the
Internet that would allow me to type all forms of Greek with
‘Apostrophes, Coronis, Accents (acute, graves, circumflexes) and
Diaeresis?’  Up until now I have been able to type Greek but not use
any accents in my messages. The only way I can use accents is when
writing or translating texts by hand on paper.

> At present I am using Windows XP and Yahoo mail to type in both Ancient (Classical and Koine) and Modern Greek, but I don’t have a program that will enable me to use ‘Accents’; so I would appreciate some help and advise please?

>From Andrew Pike

Others have pointed you in the right direction:
you need to activate the Greek keyboard on XP,

but more importantly
You need to activate the Greek POLYTONIC keyboard on XP.

Control Panel-Regional Languages-deatils-Add language-
Greek- and repeat for Add Input language (keyboard)-
Polytonic Greek or Greek Polytonic.
apply-yes-yes. or something similar.

Then from your keyboard
Left-Alt shift will rotate thru all of your input languages, which
can include right2left Hebrew and Syriac and Arabic if you
would like. However, there is a special R2L support button
in the details window that must be activated before you can
chose to add Hebrew et al.

Then you can visit Microsoft for a multipage description of
the POLYTONIC Greek keyboard layout, including SHIFT,
Control, and the Two different ALT keys.
[[Ditto for Hebrew, which uses the Hebrew national keyboard
and any computer in Israel.]]

Both the Mac and the XP Polytonic Greek keyboards are
based on the national Greek typewriter keyboard. That is
the one that you want to learn to touch-type. Don't take substitutes
or shortcuts here.

Greek students owe themselves to learn this.

Technically the Mac is 'easier' at this point, because it allows two
dead-key strokes, while XP requires some extra key-positions
for the double-dead strokes using one key only. But there is
a system to this and the learning curve is not too long, especially
if you plan on using Greek beyond pasting NT texts into English
docs.

blessings
Randall Buth

Then you learn to touch type.