[B-Greek] understanding the tense

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Fri May 22 06:40:51 EDT 2009

On May 22, 2009, at 5:38 AM, garytheron wrote:

> Hi to all,
> I just started to learn Biblical Greek, (2nd module), and I would
> greatly appreciate it if some one could help me with the following.
> In 1 Cor. 11:16 the " ou, ouk, oux/ no, not" what does  it amplify?

Welcome to the list!
We usually cite the text of the passage we're discussing, so that
readers may see at once what we're talking about.
1 Cor. 11:16 Εἰ δέ τις δοκεῖ φιλόνεικος
εἶναι, ἡμεῖς τοιαύτην συνήθειαν οὐκ
ἔχομεν οὐδὲ αἱ ἐκκλησίαι τοῦ θεοῦ.
[EI DE TIS DOKE FILONEIKOS EINAI, hHMEIS TOIAUTHN SUNHQEIAN OUK ECOMEN
OUDE hAI EKKLHSIAI TOU QEOU[
(See the B-Greek FAQ for standard transliteration policy: http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/faq.html)

The negating word, whether it's OU/OUK?OUC or MH, more often than not
precedes immediately what it negates; so here, OUK qualifies ECOMEN;
in the second clause we really have to understand an implicit ECOUSIN
TOIAUTHN SUNHQEIAN as qualified by OUDE.