[B-Greek] KAI/H in 1 Tim 2:8-9

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Thu May 21 14:14:47 EDT 2009

On May 21, 2009, at 12:58 PM, Daniel Buck wrote:

>> 1Tim2:9  WSAUTWS KAI GUNAIKAS EN KATASTOLH KOSMIW META AIDOUS
>  KAI SWFROSUNHS KOSMEIN EAUTAS MH EN PLEGMASIN
>  KAI CRUSW H MARGARITAIS H IMATISMW POLUTELEI<
>
> Can we read anything into this construction MH EN ... KAI ... H ... H?
> It's usually translated "not ..., or ..., or ..., or ....; why not
> "not ... and ..., or ..., or ....?"
>
> How do translators know that the meaning is not,
> "not with gold-entwined braids, or pearls, or expensive clothes?"

You're speculating, I surmise, that EN PLEGMASIN KAI CRUSWi is
intended as a hendiadys; in my opinion, for what it's worth, the
author is not so much spelling out precisely what women should NOT
decorate themselves with as to make clear what he means by the phrase
META AIDOUS KAI SWFROSUNHS ("decently and sensibly"?)