[B-Greek] Plato and righteousness

Emil Salim neokantian at gmail.com
Thu May 21 01:35:02 EDT 2009

This is probably off-topic, so I'll be quick. That line is from
Republic 433a8-9 where Socrates and Glaucon finally came to the
conclusion that justice is doing one's own and not meddling around
unnecessarily.

I think DIKAOSUNH in this passage cannot mean "righteousness" like we
see in Romans 1:16-17 because here it is understood as one of the four
cardinal virtues among temperance, courage, and wisdom.

TO TA AUTOU PRATTEIN KAI MH POLUPRAGMONEIN DIKAISOUNH ESTIN

"Justice is doing one's own and not meddling [with what is not one's own]."

Emil Salim