[B-Greek] 2 Cor 3:14b - subject of KATARGEITAI

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Mon May 18 18:09:57 EDT 2009

On May 18, 2009, at 12:55 AM, Donald COBB wrote:

> Perhaps, although Ι still maintain that there is probably a deliberte
> ambivalence/ambiguity in Paul's expression (covenant?/veil?) which
> could
> account for the present. I don't think translating KATARGEITAI as a
> present
> is problematical: "It is set aside, abolished".

I agree, the objection raised in a number of commentators about the
present tense being inappropriate if Paul is speaking of the hH PALAIA
DIAQHKH rests on a somewhat mechanical understanding of the present
tense.

On topic of "deliberte ambivalence/ambiguity"I have some, admittedly
subjective, thoughts. When I came to this text  a few days ago I not
studied it in English for decades. Essentially I had lost from memory
the English language "tradition" on this passage. What struck me was
the semantic ambiguity in the Greek text as an unavoidable fact. It
seemed to me that no amount of exegetical effort would make this
passage say precisely one thing and only one thing to a competent
reader/auditor in the original target audience. I take this to be a
feature of the text which was part of the intent of the author. That
however would be difficult to develop and keep it within the scope of
the official focus for this forum.

Elizabeth Kline