[B-Greek] 2 Cor 3:14b - subject of KATARGEITAI

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Mon May 18 13:47:03 EDT 2009

On May 18, 2009, at 11:24 AM, Iver Larsen wrote:

> [...]

LSJ:
ἀνακᾰλύπτω, Dor. ἀγκ-,
uncover, IG4.952.62 (Epid.); reveal, τι πρός τινα Plb.4 85.6;
τινά, i. e. his character, Philoch.20; ἀ. λόγους use open
speech, E.IA1146; ἀ. κάρα unveil oneself, Or. 294: so in Med.,
unveil oneself, X.HG5.4.6.
remove a covering, βλεφάρων μὴ ἀνακαλυφθέντων
Arist.Sens.444b25, cf. 2 Ep.Cor.3.14.

The fact, for what it's worth, is that ANA- and KATA- are used in more
than one way in composition. ΚΑΤΑΝΕUV is "nod the head downards
(forewards) in assent, while ANANEUW is "nod the head backwards in
dissent or denial. ANAKALUPTW seeems to use the prefix that way:
"remove the cover."