[B-Greek] hESTHKA and KAQIZW as "I am" (was "hESTWTA" (Acts 7:55 + 56))

Tony Pope borikayaama_tekiri at sil.org
Mon May 18 13:36:20 EDT 2009

Iver (and all),

Yes, your point is taken that the hopeful workers are not likely to have sat around the whole time,
and Jeremias' comment may be going too far. Certainly, had they been sitting they would at least
have got to their feet when a potential employer arrived on the scene.

However, my real interest is in the lexical meaning of hISTHMI in the various NT passages. It seems
to me that there is such a variety of usages that we have to be careful in assigning the sense "be
erect on one's feet" in a case like Matt 20. These examples look to me more akin to the sense
"stop", which is elsewhere well attested, or "be stationary", in the sense that the normal
day-to-day working life of these men was brought to a halt, so to speak, by the fact that they were
unemployed. In other words, it is not a matter of bodily posture at all.

Another example, rather different, is Acts 5:25.
ἰδοὺ οἱ ἄνδρες οὓς ἔθεσθε ἐν τῇ φυλακῇ εἰσὶν ἐν τῷ ἱερῷ ἑστῶτες καὶ διδάσκοντες τὸν λαόν.
IDOU hOI ANDRES hOUS EQESQE EN THi FULAKHi EISIN EN TWi hIERWi hESTWTES KAI DIDASKONTES TON LAON.

I subscribe here to the view that the purpose of hESTWTES is not to detail the bodily posture of the
apostles as they were teaching in the temple court. Whether they were standing or not is not stated.
It is not even that the text says they were standing but we suspect they are likely to have been
sitting and so it need not be taken literally, but that hESTWTES means something like "they have set
themselves up" in the temple court.

Does this kind of comment ring true with anyone who has read a lot of non-biblical Greek, or would
you rather rule it out?

Tony Pope