[B-Greek] Reasons for listening to Greek

Daniel, Robert S rob.daniel at hp.com
Mon May 18 13:35:00 EDT 2009

I pre-ordered a copy of this, and am looking forward to when it arrives. I would like to thank Dr. Buth for his efforts in producing this, as well as the other Living Koine/Hebrew materials.

>From personal experience of having learned another language by hearing it spoken by native speakers daily for most of a year, I am convinced that this method of learning is faster and more effective than others.

I have been using recordings by Simon and by Zodhiates so far, and it will be good to hear a different pronunciation scheme that is more like Koine was actually pronounced than like modern Greek. I found that when I first listened to Simon, having started with Erasmian pronunciation, it was very difficult to understand. But after a week or two of accustoming the ear, your ear automatically adapts itself.

So far, the way that I have used audio recordings is that I first read a chapter of, say, Mark. Then I reread it, using a highlighter to mark the words I need to look up. Then I look up all the highlighted words, and write in the meanings on my copy (printed from the Internet). Then I start listening to it over and over, following the printed text as necessary. By the time that I can listen and understand without reading along, I find that the meanings of the new words have migrated from short-term to long-term memory. By far the most time-consuming part of this process is looking up the new words. Because there are thousands of new words to learn, anything that can speed up this process is of great value. Looking up words in a lexicon is doubtless a good learning experience in itself, and no doubt builds character. But it is very time-consuming. And something needs to be done, after looking them up, to fix the meanings in the mind. I find this one of the most valuable effects of listening.

Part of learning is a physiological process. I am not a scientist, but my understanding is that when you learn a new language, the brain literally re-wires itself for the new language. I believe that auditory pathways are important components of this circuitry, and that by listening we foster the development of these new nerual pathways. I realize there is more than one way to skin a cat, as they say, but for me this approach to learning works better than others.
Rob