[B-Greek] 2 Cor 3:14b - subject of KATARGEITAI

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Mon May 18 12:29:38 EDT 2009

On May 17, 2009, at 9:47 PM, Iver Larsen wrote:

> May I use this to make some general comments which deal with certain
> Greek discourse markers and the
> meaning of some of the key words?

"May I use this ..." Certainly you may, however a certain level of
confusion here results from assuming that I was doing "discourse
analysis" within the R.Dooley, S.Levinsohn, ktl. framework. I am NOT
using that framework. Theme is a recursive notion, in other words
there are themes within themes. For low level themes we might adopt a
different term like thematic threads. To avoid cumbersome language I
will just stick with the word theme understanding that it can refer to
a major development like hH PALAIA DIAQHKH or a minor one like TO
KALUMMA.

"Paul is not linear in his thinking and writing ..."

That was the main point of my last post. The argument that TO KALUMMA
was the subject of the most recent finite verbs and should be
understood as the subject of KATARGEITAI 2 Cor 3:14 assumes a linear
development within Paul's argument.

Elizabeth Kline