[B-Greek] 2 Cor 3:14b - subject of KATARGEITAI

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Mon May 18 11:24:14 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald COBB" <docobb at orange.fr>
To: "Iver Larsen" <iver_larsen at sil.org>; "B-Greek" <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: 18. maj 2009 10:55
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] 2 Cor 3:14b - subject of KATARGEITAI

> In other words, ANAKALUPTW can, depending on the context, have a meaning quite close to
> APOKALUPTW.

And depending on the writer. The word has a curious distribution in the LXX. Whereas APOKALUPTW is
found evenly distributed from Genesis to Nahum (112 times), although not in Daniel, ANAKALUPTW (28
times) is only found in Job, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Daniel and a single occurrence in Psalms. Language is
funny, since morphologically ANAKALUPTW ought to correspond to English "cover up", but "cover up" is
expressed by KATAKALUPTW. The translator of Isaiah used both APO- and ANA- where it is difficult to
detect much difference in meaning.

Anyway, we are talking about Paul, and there is no evidence that he used ANAKALUPTW in anything but
its basic sense of lifting up a veil and thereby uncovering a face, while there is ample evidence
that he used APOKALUPTW in the sense of reveal. I'll just have to disagree with Mr. Spicq's exegesis
of this verse.

But thanks for the discussion.

Iver Larsen