[B-Greek] 2 Cor 3:14b - subject of KATARGEITAI

Donald COBB docobb at orange.fr
Mon May 18 04:20:59 EDT 2009

I won't resist the temptation of quoting R. B. Hays' statement of one of his
exegetical principles in Paul. He gives it, incidently, as an opening remark
to his treatment of 2 Cor 3:1-4-6:

"Where learned critics divide over the interpretation of a passage, it is a
reasonable working hypothesis that the roots of the divergent readings must
lie buried within the text itself. It is possible that subsequent
interpreters have created dichotomies where Paul saw dialectical unity" (1).

I don't follow Hays' interpretation of this passage, but I do think his
point may explain some of the differences in understanding 2 Cor 3:14b that
have been expressed on over the last few days.

Donald Cobb
Aix-en-Provence, France

1) R. B. Hays, "Echoes of Scripture in the Letters of Paul" (New
Haven-London: Yale University Press, 1989), 125