[B-Greek] 2 Cor 3:14b - subject of KATARGEITAI

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Mon May 18 01:54:38 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Iver Larsen" <iver_larsen at sil.org>
To: "Donald COBB" <docobb at orange.fr>; "B-Greek" <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: 17. maj 2009 11:17
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] 2 Cor 3:14b - subject of KATARGEITAI

> You suggested option 2:
> "For up to this present day, the same veil remains on the reading of the Old Covenant, *not being
> unveiled that it disappears/is set aside in Christ*"
>
> I am afraid I cannot make any sense out of that. Maybe you can explain the meaning to me?

After I wrote the above, I looked at some commentaries. I admit that I seldom look at commentaries,
because they often confuse rather than enlighten.
What I could not see is that some people read ANAKALUPTOMENON as if it had been APOKALUPTOMENON,
and/or they understand "unveil a face" as if it meant "reveal a concept". APOKALUPTW is a common
word in the NT (26 times), and Paul uses it 13 times, although it never occurs as a participle. I
still do not think that option 2 is a legitimate exegesis, nor that it could be the intended
meaning. In addition, as I said before, if the intention was to refer to the old covenant, a
perfective form of KATARGEW should have been used (either aorist or perfect). Finally, as I said in
another post, this section does not deal with the covenants per se, but people under the two
covenants, and this bit of v. 14 anticipates a topic developed from v. 16.

Does any English version follow option 2? I did notice that a new Danish idiomatic version says:
"Therefore they do not understand that the old agreement between God and people was annulled when
Christ came." This translation adds "therefore", uses a past tense (was annulled) and takes the
unveiling to mean "understand". IMO, this is simply a wrong and inaccurate translation based on
faulty exegesis. I don't think it is a matter of ambiguity from Paul's side, but a matter of
misunderstanding on the part of a small minority of commentators.

Iver Larsen