[B-Greek] Reasons for listening to Greek

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Sun May 17 10:09:33 EDT 2009

As an Erasmian, let me say that I agree with Randall's
point 7c.  I think it is very important for all NT Greek learners
to know how modern Greek sounds, and to hear a good faith
attempt at restored Imperial Koine.  I just ordered Randall's
c.d. and plan to listen to it along with Phemester and
Pennington.  I think multiple pronunciation schemes
are just something we have to deal with, because this
issue is too complicated for a one system solution.
I like the fact that Randall speaks slowly and with
dramatic emphasis  on this c.d
and the idea of the ASKHSEIS/drills is a great innovation
that I am excited to try out.

As to the general idea of the value of listening to Greek,
or at least the Greek NT, this has taken me a while to
come around, but I am now a believer.  I would just say that
for me it has taken a long time get to the point where I can
listen to the Greek NT read and make sense of it.  I had
to listen to John 1 dozens, maybe hundreds of time, but
I can now understand it.  Then recently I was listening to
1 Tim 4 and I hit a break through.  I had to play it back several
times, but I could understand almost all of it without going to
the text.  It's a skill that comes slowly, but it feels good to get
there.  I still don't know how much it helps in reading the Greek
NT or other Greek, and in fact it may be the other way around,
 that the more you re-read the Greek NT and other Greek the
easier it is to understand it read aloud.  Or, at least, the skills reenforce
each other.

Again, I realize that there is much more to audio learning, that
you should understand unfamilar Greek read aloud and then be able to
speak and think in Greek, but AT THE VERY LEAST, we all
should be able to understand the Greek NT read.  That is
Randall's challenge, and we are grateful to him for making
available a product which helps in this.

Mark L.