[B-Greek] 1Tim5:9 - woman of one man (Plutarch on Demosthenes)

Steven Cox stevencox_backonbgreek at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 16 19:06:02 EDT 2009

Hi Carl
Well I suppose that's a lesson in that the simplest explanation is the easiest one. When this hit came up I first ignored it, then I spent 20 minutes running around to try and find a reason, for why SAMIAS should be rendered as MIAS by Charles Barcroft, perplexed at only being able to find "of Samos" in LSJ. Hence the question below:

http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/plu10or/index.htm
Scanned by Agathon (RSB) from the University of Washington's copy of
Plutarch's Lives and Writings, ed. by A.H. Clough and William W.
Goodwin, with an introd. by Ralph Waldo Emerson. London: Simpkin,
Hamilton, Kent & Co., Ltd. [1914?], vol. 5.

I'm now pretty annoyed and embarrassed to have trusted an expert rather than LSJ. Presumably however this is a textual issue, that somewhere in the passage of time "Plutarch" has come to read MIAS GUNAIKOS in the text available in 1914, under the heavy influence of the NT texts.

I also didn't know until this morning that this isn't even by Plutarch but by Caecilius of Calacte -- and maybe that's where variant SAMIAS -> MIAS comes in.

All in all a wild goose chase. Which brings us back to your Cornelia as the only parallel.
Duh.

Steven