[B-Greek] Definition of "parsing"

John Sanders john.franklin.sanders at gmail.com
Fri May 15 06:27:36 EDT 2009

This is where we can get some instruction from Dr. Buth or Dr. Conrad, et
al.  As I have gathered, which may be incorrect in some fashion, DT (or some
ancient fellow who spoke ancient Greek) used η κλισις, --εως (H KLISIS,
-EWS) as the noun to refer to the inflexion of nouns and verbs.  They did
not discriminate from one to other.  πλαγιαζω (PLAGIAZW) was what one said
when declining nouns, but only in the oblique cases (πτωσισ πλαγια, PTWSIS
PLAGIA); and verbs, but only in the non-finite varieties, or so I
understand.  To identify a noun in the nominative case, one would use the
verb ορθοω (ORQOW).

To conjugate a verb, I  believe they used κανονιζω (KANONIZW) to give the
paradigm and the response would use κανονιζεται (KANONIZETAI).

But this is where someone who really knows would help.

John Sanders
Suzhou, China

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Louis Sorenson <llsorenson at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Ah yes,
>
> 13 hours of hard labor has dulled my senses:
>
> parse = part of speech and form
> decline - nouns have declensions, as do participles
> conjugate - may refer to:
> Grammatical conjugation, the modification of a verb from its basic form
>
> I think these terms are considered "interchangeable" by many - they are
> leveled by first year students.  Although no one could conjugate a noun or
> decline a verb, one could probably parse both. But I'm not sure one coould
> conjugate a participle. What is the Greek term used by Greek grammarians?
>  I'm comfortable with calling it what Dionysius Thrax called it. Randall
> Buth always fills his emails with those Greek terms (as does AT Robertson in
> his Grammar).  I suppose I should make a list and learn them verbatim.  No
> one should argue with Dionysius (and yes, some humor is intended).
>
> Louis
>
> > From: leonardo1orchardcity at mac.com
> > Subject: Re: [B-Greek]  Definition of "parsing"
> > Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 21:55:29 -0500
> > To: b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org; llsorenson at hotmail.com
> >
> > How about conjugating Greek verbs?
> >
> > Leonard Isaksson
> > On May 14, 2009, at 8:00 PM, Louis Sorenson wrote:
> >

> > > I've always understood it as follows:
> > >
> > > You parse a verb; you decline a noun/adjective/pronoun.
> > > Interjections, adverbs, prepositions are indeclinable.  Participles
> > > are both parsed and declined -- according to this schema. Perhaps we
> > > should call them parclined or deparsed.
> > >
> > > Louis Sorenson

John Sanders
Suzhou, China