[B-Greek] Definition of "parsing"

Louis Sorenson llsorenson at hotmail.com
Thu May 14 23:23:22 EDT 2009

Ah yes,

13 hours of hard labor has dulled my senses:

parse = part of speech and form
decline - nouns have declensions, as do participles
conjugate - may refer to:
Grammatical conjugation, the modification of a verb from its basic form

I think these terms are considered "interchangeable" by many - they are leveled by first year students.  Although no one could conjugate a noun or decline a verb, one could probably parse both. But I'm not sure one coould conjugate a participle. What is the Greek term used by Greek grammarians?  I'm comfortable with calling it what Dionysius Thrax called it. Randall Buth always fills his emails with those Greek terms (as does AT Robertson in his Grammar).  I suppose I should make a list and learn them verbatim.  No one should argue with Dionysius (and yes, some humor is intended).

Louis